Vital Impacts, a non-profit organization founded by award winners National geography Photographer Ami Vitale and visual journalist Eileen Mignoni are hosting a print sale to support a number of conservation charities – and some serious names are involved, including Paul Nicklen, Jimmy Chin and even Dr Jane Goodall. If you want to buy amazing artwork and support a great cause, you can do so until December 31st.
Which associations are supported?
The Vital Impacts Sale supports four conservation charities: the Big Life Foundation, the Great Plains Foundation Project Ranger, the Jane Goodall Institute’s Roots & Shoots and SeaLegacy.
60% of the net proceeds from each print will be shared among the four charities. The remaining 40% will go to photographers to enable them to continue “their critical conservation awareness work”.
By the end of the year, Vital Impacts aims to raise $ 1 million for the four charities. When Popular photography talked to Vitale at the end of November, they were about a quarter of the way round.
Which photographers are involved?
The collection of photographers contributing to the sale is downright ridiculous. The list of 100 names is basically a who’s who of National geography and wildlife photographers, as well as up-and-coming talents like Hannah le Leu, who won the Young Ocean Photographer of the Year award.
There are prints for sale from Ragnar Axelsson, James Balog, Nick Brandt, Jimmy Chin, Tamara Dean, Cristina Mittermeier and Cory Richards as well as dozens of other amazing photographers.
There are also “never seen before” prints by Dr Jane Goodall, including a stunning self-portrait she took over 60 years ago in Gombe National Park. “For a lot of people like me,” says Vitale, “Jane Goodall is a hero. So we just thought about asking her, ‘Jane, have you ever taken pictures?’ And it turns out she did.
And it turns out she was good at it, too. Her three photos are some of my favorites in the collection, and this one is part of a collection of the work of some of the world’s best photographers.
“The one thing that ties everyone together,” says Vitale, “is that there’s just this shared concern and commitment to trying to protect the environment and the planet.”
And it is very clear from the work. While there is a wide variety of styles and techniques on display, almost every image shows the beauty and fragility of our world.
How to buy a print?
Prints are available on the Vital Impacts website. There are 60 limited edition prints available between $ 1,000 and $ 30,000 (some of which are already sold out). There are also around 150 open edition prints available between $ 125 and $ 675, depending on the artist and the size of the print (you can normally choose between an 11 × 16 or a 16 × 24). Even more exciting, every week there is also a flash sale where three prints of the open edition will be available in 8×12 in a limited run of 100 for just $ 100. The three available images reset every Tuesday at midnight EST.